A Grey Matter




Winter is actually my favourite season. Controversial perhaps, but true. I love getting all warm and snugly and going for winter walks. I also love autumn winter clothes. All those lovely layers, cute knits, fun tights, wool skirts....

Except I only have two winter wool skirts. I only had one until this baby came along. I so much prefer wearing skirts and dresses to trousers so my two winter skirts were getting worn a lot!

Following the success of my vintage tweed Sherlock skirt, I decided another incarnation of McCalls 7316 was in order. At the same exact time, my best friend wanted to learn to sew a garment, so we promptly and giddily arranged a sewing date. It was mighty fun. We both made a lined A-line skirt (view B of the pattern) with a centre back zip. My best friend's first zip! And very neat it was too. 

McCalls 7316


I had fabric envy, she was using a glorious black & white houndstooth. 

I was using some of the Hobbs wool left over from Sylvie the Hobbs Wool shift dress: grey with lovely little flecks of orange, blue and brown in it. Very wearable for winter! And it has such a beautiful weight and drape. I used deep purple lining left over from the shift dress, and this time I used some medium weight interfacing for the waistband (learning from my lazy mistakes).




Again, very simple to construct, especially as I'd already made this pattern before. No alterations baby! I hand stitched the lining to the zip, also the inside waistband and hem were hand stitched. I'm quite slow at this so next time I'm going to try the blind hem foot on my machine. 

A slightly wobbly and uneven zip but good enough for me!

Anyhow, this very practical winter skirt is a great addition to my wardrobe, and I know it'll get worn lots. 




Helping my friend with her first skirt actually made me realised I know more than I think I do about sewing. But I don't know much about pattern grading! We had to grade down a lot for my friend's skirt, we altered a lot as we went and of course transferred alterations onto her traced pattern for future use. I did feel bad though that I wasn't better at grading the pattern right away from her measurements. I kept saying "it wouldn't take this long usually!". Luckily she wasn't put off (phew) and was very pleased with her skirt sewing. It looked flipping fab I must say. 

I really want to make the wrap version in view D, perhaps in a nice chambray? 

A line winter skirts for the win. Yes. 
Get one (or three) made!!



Worn with a bargain of a cashmere jumper. Cosy & warm!

No comments :

Post a Comment