My First Plantain tee

Do you have those jobs on your to do list that have been on there for multiple years? Perhaps that’s just me. Along with organising the understairs cupboard and digitising all my childhood family photo albums, making the Deer and Doe Plantain tee has been on my list for a long time. I finally did make one! Ticking that off feels great. Ticking something off a list has got to be one of my favourite things. 



This lovely drapey red jersey was previously this Wren dress which saw me through the enormous part of both my pregnancies and the early days of breastfeeding. Both times it was summer so the drapey swishy dress was a big help! But once the post partum days were over I found the dress made me feel squat, dreary and a bit like a sack of potatoes. So it’s been sat in the refashion pile for about a year. Enter, Plantain!



By the way, I do find these photos quite hilarious. The outside ones were taken by my surprisingly assertive 4.5 year old, so the angles are quite odd (and we did refill the birdfeeder, honest!). She did make me laugh which is nice. The indoor ones are not quite as bright but I'm sure you can get an idea of what the Tshirt looks like!


Well I can see why it’s such a popular pattern. It sews up so well, is clearly very well drafted. The neckband is just the right thickness, and it’s a lovely relaxed style of T shirt. Plus of course it is free. Thank you so much Deer and Doe for sharing your wonderful pattern for free! 





I really love the finished T shirt. I’ve even got over not feeling cool enough to tuck just one side in! I do need to raise the shoulder seams next time, there’s just way too much room in there. This is a common adjustment for me so I should have done it right off the bat! My only worry is how this will affect the neckband and the arm hole. I shall do more research first! 




This fabric is just the perfect weight for this pattern. It’s wonderfully drapey and great quality.


It’s a true red, which is one of my best colours. Halesmooresewing is running a year long Challenge: Sew Your Colours 22. It’s all about finding which colours suit you best and sewing more of those. I’m a Clear Winter palette and this red is just perfect for me. Here is my palette and me wearing some of the colours to show you what I mean. 



And notice what happens when I try to wear pastel colours! They just do not suit me, my skin looks all washed out and I even look slightly ill. It just shows what a different colour can make.



It also may go some way towards explaining why everything I've made so far this year seems to have been red! 


No comments :

Post a Comment